17 July 2012

rebranding wedding anniversary gifts
seven = marshmallow

A couple of (dozen?) kilos. A home big enough to merit actual internal doors. Parenthood. An epic globetrotting adventure. Just some of the things we've made in the last seven years. I've yet to experience a party to equal the one we had. I really hope that's how all married people feel reminiscing about their wedding.

In Britain, seventh anniversaries are, for some reason, symbolised by wool (the cause of the seven-year itch perhaps?) Now I love wool as much as the next wifie, but luckily Mr Breadwinner ignored the woolly tradition and gave me a six-month subscription to a marshmallow club. Let me repeat that slowly: a marshmallow club. I know. Such a thing actually exists, and I'm now a fully paid-up member! If anything's better than wool, it's definitely marshmallow (here's how to make them plus a critical cautionary tale - don't say you weren't warned).

Edit 18 July: Gratuitous droolly photo added. I'm officially sorted 'til Christmas. Happy days...

www.zukrboutique.com

It's also exactly one year since little macaroon came about. A year! How did that happen? My life certainly seems very different from then; card-carrying, highlighted, manipedied, tropical tai tai, to heavily pregnant, worsted housewife with swollen feet enduring the worst Summer since records began.

For now, I'm all about eating marshmallows nesting the bump. I finished a wee jumper this week that had been languishing at the bottom of the bag. Puerperium is a pattern that I was introduced to via about twelfty bajillion Yarn Along participants. With good reason too, the little dragon baby will look a picture in it.

for once, I think I chose the right buttons, it's never happened before

A few other newborn sartorial creations (non-knit) are in the pipeline this week. So if you like making stuff and wonder what the dragon baby will be mostly wearing with his/her tiny sweaters this Winter, check back in a day or two for categorically the. most. awesome. baby. gift. idea. EVER. If you've ever wanted to give an easy, unique, handmade gift to a special newborn (and let's face it, who hasn't) then you do not want to miss this. Word.

Joining in with Yarn Along a wee bit early this week because I won't get time tomorrow. On the reading front, I'm waiting for my local library to get a hold of Love in the time of cholera. Meanwhile dipping in and out of The Road Home by Rose Tremain.

And, apropos nothing at all, here's a pretty picture of a rose that I rescued from the rain yesterday. I wish you could sniff it. And I wish I'd cleaned up the crumbs from the breakfast table.

Happy woollyversaries all round. Here's to the coming year.

rose Baron Girod de l'Ain



23 comments:

  1. Love this post 💜 A Marshmallow Club is just such a wonderful idea. I'll be thinking of that all day now. Happy Anniversary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A marshmallow club?! How have I never heard of such a thing?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well ladies, I have a feeling my life may be about to change thanks to 'mallow club... I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! We celebrated 7 years just a couple of weeks ago. Isn't it a lovely number? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary to you guys! I love the thought of a marshmallow club ~ what a truly awesome gift....smile....! That jumper is really, really adorable, by the way. Can't wait to see your new little in that one. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary.
    Beautiful baby knits...enjoy the marshmellows...sounds wonderful & yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary!!! And many many many more happy years :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope this doesn't mean you are going to stop making your own marshmallows!
    Love the colours in that wee jumper - those are Lou colours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary!! and OMG a marshmallow club? awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A marshmallow club...that's awesome....and the sweater is adorable..and I have a friend who just had a baby..can't wait to find out what the gift is...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, I've found you. You were one of the casualties when my Google blog reader threw a wobbly and lost half my feeds and somehow I couldn't track you down for, oh, ages! Loving the little cardi. Right I'm off to have a catch up here :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back!! Hate it when blogger does that ;-)

      Delete
  12. Meant to say, Happy Woolly Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting! I always love to hear about the origins of words or phrases - perhaps you're right with the Wooly one. The color of the Puerperium is beautiful - yes, the buttons are just right. Happy 7th!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking the mallow club is a piece of inspired genius! Gratuitous marshmallow photo edit to follow now that the chocolate cherry bad boys have arrived (drooooool!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Woollyversary and blogiversary to you! The Marshmallow Club membership is such an awesomely unique gift. How on earth can you top that?!!
    The jumper is so sweet. Love how perfectly matched those buttons are. I will be tuning into that gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy anniversary - and congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm not a big fan of marshmallow but that's probably because I've only ever had those commercial white or pink ones. Mint? Chocolate? Raspberry? Now you're talking!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This little knit is adorable! Also, if a husband buys you a subscription to a marshmallow club, you are one luck girl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on all your anniversaries! I LOVE your anniversary gift. Maybe I should drop a hint for next year and we can make no. 8 a marshmallow year too? :)
    Looking forward to that baby project...

    ReplyDelete
  19. happy anniversary! darling sweater, love it and the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous baby jumper. And I have a baby in the works( not mine but a "adopted" daughter) that it will be perfect for and since we are all hoping for a girl this time around will make it is some girl shade!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww...happy anniversary! A marshmallow club? What a great gift and what a wonderful husband. Love the peurperium pattern! I think I ended up with six or seven and Viv wore them all. Hope you're comfy, cozy in this last bit of your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...